Noosa Yacht and Rowing Gaff Rig Regatta
The 3rd annual Gaff Rig Sailing Regatta will be held by The Noosa Yacht and Rowing Club on the 5th of June 2022.
In 2019 the inaugural NYRC Gaff rig regatta attracted a small but enthusiastic fleet of Gaff, Sprit and Lug sail yachts, all of varying designs, sizes, age and hull materials. Unfortunately the 2020 NYRC Gaff Rig regatta had to be cancelled due to Covid 19 restrictions.
Last year 2021 the fleet numbers tripled from the inaugural regatta. Entries included a number of interstate boats despite the further complications of Covid 19 and border restrictions.
For 2022 NYRC are planning a Regatta event with over 25 entries and diverse range of yacht designs.
A few features of the 2022 Gaff Rig regatta.
- All proceeds from the Regatta go to the Noosa Charity Sailability, which gives disabled people the opportunity to learn to sail
- The regatta dates coincide with the Noosa Come Together Riverbank Festival.
- Our major sponsor will again supply the winner and place getter prizes of Bundaberg Rum.
- Other Nautical prizes from our sponsors are available for various yacht results and performance.
- Entries are open to any design of Gaff Rig or similar sail plans. Hulls can be wood, fibreglass or any other material. The yacht types can be Keel, Centreboard, Trailer-Sailer yachts. Dinghy designs with Sprit, Gunter or similar rigs like Mirrors, Herons etc are also most welcome.
If an extended stay other than the regatta is considered in the Noosa area ( we can assist with accommodation, boat/trailer storage, moorings etc. ) there a number of activities available including:
- A casual river raid sail / cruise on the beautiful Noosa River or sail to the world famous Noosa Everglades. Watch video here
- The Bribie Island Classic Boat regatta in late May. https://www.facebook.com/bribieaquaticcommunityevents.4507
- Endless site seeing in the Noosa hinterland, Biodiveraty and National Parks, view more at one of our sponsors web site https://www.visitnoosa.com.au/
- Just chilling out at the famous Hasting street shops and beach where the weather is balmy in June and the ocean beach water is warm.
- A participants review of the 2021 regatta is available at https://boatgoldcoast.com.au/trailerable-cygnets-at-noosa-gaff-rig-regatta-everglades-cruising/