12 Foot Skiff … give it a go!
Campaigning a 12 foot skiff is about fun on and off the water. You can develop a range of skills, including boat handling, tuning, boat maintenance, organisation and training. With the continued equipment developments, and the introduction of carbon masts, 12s are very manageable boats and any sailor with skiff experience, will easily adapt.
Key boat facts include:
- Speeds of up to 25 knots possible
- Crewed by two people, both on trapeze (Teenagers to seniors)
- Lightweight 45 kilogram hull
- Three complete rigs (small, medium, large)
- Each skiff is individual, not an off the shelf product
- Simple measurement rules allow design development
- Rig size and design is unrestricted
- The asymmetrical spinnaker is set off a fixed bowsprit
Club racing in Sydney can be Saturday (Lane Cove or Abbotsford) or Sunday (Sydney Flying Squadron). Australian and State Titles are held each season and include fleets from NSW and QLD. A major Interdominion championship is held every year, rotating between New Zealand, QLD and NSW. The last championship held in Sydney attracted 30+ entries.
The NSW 12 Foot Skiff Association can help match skippers and crews with good 2nd hand boats. They can also help place interested crews with skippers ready to go but looking for crew.
Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a go you won’t look back
You can also follow the 12s on Facebook and Instagram